Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Episode 57

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "Believe Me When I Tell You", Part 3

Yesterday, Cy was awakened out of his Christmastime memory by Conrad, who still is against Darlene's newfound humanity.  Meanwhile, Thomas has his own memory of Christmastime 1994, where he remembers placing flowers on his mother's grave. 
As we begin today, Thomas has heard a knock on the door and has opened the door to reveal a woman...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The woman is dressed in very strange clothes, with a bohemian feel to them. A wide variety of colors and fabrics cover her and give an air of free-spiritedness about her. Her hair has a couple of gray hairs in it, showing a sign of oncoming age but still youthful-looking in body and mind.

"Hello there." says the woman.

"Why are you following me?" asks Thomas.

"Don't you know who I am?" asks the woman.

"I have no idea who you are." says Thomas.

"I knew that. I just wanna see if you did." says the woman.

"Well, I don't, and I'm on my way somewhere." says Thomas.

"May I stay with you?" asks the woman.

"What on earth for?" asks Thomas.

"Because... I'm a relative of yours." says the woman.

"A relative?" says Thomas.

"A close relative." says the woman.

"Do you have a name?" asks Thomas.

"Mary. That's my name." says the woman.

"Mary what?" asks Thomas.

'Mary Hartman." says the woman.

"Strange, strange." says Thomas.

"Strange? Why do you say that?" asks Mary.

"I'll tell you later. Won't you come in?" says Thomas.

"So, this is your house?" asks Mary as she steps inside.

"No, it belongs to someone else." says Thomas as he closes the door.

"Who might that be?" asks Mary.

"His name is Cy Scott." says Thomas.

"Nice name." says Mary.

"His mother gave it to him. That's her picture above the mantle." says Thomas.

"Nice picture." says Mary.

"Listen, what are you doing here?" asks Thomas.

"I came to visit you, I told you that." says Mary.

"I don't remember you." says Thomas.

"You don't?" asks Mary.

"I have no memory of you." says Thomas.

"If you must know, I was a very close relative... of your mother." says Mary.

"She's dead. You must know that." says Thomas.

"When did she die?" asks Mary.

"When she gave birth to me." says Thomas.

"I can see that. Listen, can I stick around for a few hours?" says Mary.

"If you must, but it isn't gonna help me remember you." says Thomas.

"I bet it will, sooner or later." says Mary.

A couple of hours later, back at WHYP, Cy and Conrad are exiting the building. As they leave, they saw Mr. Gold, armed with a broom, using it against a medium-sized dog, barking away at its attacker. Cy and Conrad take note of the scene and walk over to where the action is occurring.

"Hello, Mr. Gold. Decided that hating people wasn't enough?" says Cy.

"Go away, Scott. I'm trying to get rid of this mutt." says Mr. Gold.

"What on earth for?" asks Conrad.

"It keeps hanging round the outside of the building and I don't allow dogs here." says Mr. Gold.

"Maybe inside, but not outside." says Cy.

"Including outside, Scott, so leave me alone." says Mr. Gold.

"What are you gonna do with the dog if it comes back again?" asks Conrad.

"I'll have it thrown in the pound." says Mr. Gold.

"With a chance of being put to sleep? No way, Mr. Gold." says Cy.

"You have no say in the matter, Scott." says Mr. Gold.

"If you actually manage to catch this dog, I'll take it in." says Cy.

"Are you sure you should do that?" asks Conrad.

"I've always wanted a pet." says Cy.

The dog then runs away as Mr. Gold tries to give it one good whack.

"I hate that dog!" says Mr. Gold.

"You shouldn't hit animals, Mr. Gold." says Cy.

"Keep your comments to yourself, Scott." says Mr. Gold, who then makes his way back inside.

"I hope you can take care of a dog." says Conrad.

"I hope so, too, Conrad." says Cy as the two get back underway.

"You know, you shouldn't fight with Mr. Gold. He's our boss." says Conrad.

"I know that, but the man's a jerk. I can't help but fight." says Cy.

"Of all the things to inherit from your mother, it had to be her temper." says Conrad.

"Don't say things like that. My mother was a level-headed person." says Cy.

"When she wanted to be." says Conrad.

"Quit that, Conrad. You know, over the past two weeks, our friendship has been on the rocks." says Cy.

"Maybe you hadn't turned my sister into an alcoholic... " says Conrad.

"You must live to bring up the past. You take my past and mock it. Meanwhile, you only tell me about some things and then don't fill in the blank spots." says Cy.

"Because it's none of your business." says Conrad.

"So you keep saying." says Cy.

"Don't look now, but we've got company." says Conrad.

Cy then looks around him and spots the dog that Mr. Gold was fighting with, walking next to him.

"Hello, little doggie." says Cy.

"I wonder why it's following us." says Conrad.

"It probably heard me that I was gonna give it a home and has accepted my offer." says Cy.

"Cy, I believe a lot of things you say but you're reaching there." says Conrad.

"Dogs are smart, aren't they? They can understand what we say." says Cy.

"Whatever you say, Cy." says Conrad.

"I'll take you home, doggie." says Cy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, Chief McIntyre meets with Cy and Conrad and discusses something of importance, when a new canine campanion for Cy gets a new home.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment