Thursday, August 5, 2010

Episode 44

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "It Only Takes a Moment", Part 3

Yesterday, Cy, after hearing of Polly's second gig, decided to make himself Polly's manager in an attempt to add on to his legacy.  However, Conrad believes that the whole idea is silly and keeps reminding him of what has happened to Darlene.   Cy's first duty as manager is arranging a backing band for Polly's second performance in the form of the Sidewinders, Elmer's group.
As we begin today, the workday has ended for Cy and he has made it home...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

At Cy's home, inside the study, Thomas is strumming away at his old guitar, trying to come up with a new tune. As he plays, he hears the phone ring. Curious, he puts the guitar down and walks out of the study and over to the phone in the living room.
"Hello?" asks Thomas when he picks up the receiver.
"Hello, Thomas." says the voice of Darlene at the other end.
"Darlene? What are you calling for?" asks Thomas.
"I wanted to talk to you." says Darlene.
"You wanna talk to me?" says Thomas.
"Yes, I do, Thomas." says Darlene.
"What can I do?" asks Thomas.
"Maybe you can invite me over there, like a gentleman." says Darlene.
"Okay, you can come over." says Thomas.
"Thanks a million, Thomas." says Darlene, who then hangs up.
"That was strange." says Thomas to himself.
"Good morning, Thomas." says Cy as he walks into the house.
"Good morning, Cy. I just had an interesting phone call." says Thomas.
"From whom, may I ask?" asks Cy.
"From Darlene." says Thomas.
"What did she want?" asks Cy.
"She wanted to talk to me and she had me ask her to come over." says Thomas.
"That is interesting." says Cy.
"What should I do?" asks Thomas.
"Just let her into this house and treat her as a guest." says Cy.
"I'll try." says Thomas.
Some time later, Cy and Thomas are picking their guitars when they hear a knock at the door. With small steps, they makes their way from the study to the front door. When they reach the front door, Cy decides to open it and there stands Darlene.
"Hello, Thomas. Hi, Cy!" says Darlene as she walks inside the house.
"Hello to you, Darlene." says Thomas as he closes the door.
"Nice to see you again." says Darlene as she takes a look around.
"Me, too." says Cy.
"I was talking to Thomas." says Darlene.
"I see. I'll go back to the study." says Cy, who then does so.
"How have you been since Friday?" asks Darlene.
"The same. Not much has changed." says Thomas.
"That's nice to know." says Darlene.
"Is there any reason you came over here?" asks Thomas, walking over to where Darlene is standing.
"To see you. Is that reason enough?" says Darlene.
"If you feel it's such." says Thomas.
"Now that I'm melted, I can understand Cy's reasoning at last." says Darlene.
"That's good to hear, especially from you now." says Thomas.
"I've known you for a long time." says Darlene, starting towards the fireplace.
"That's a true fact." says Thomas, following along.
"I also know Cy's mother." says Darlene.
"He talks very highly of her." says Thomas.
"And to think, I used to think very differently about her." says Darlene as she reaches the mantle, "Saying bad things about her, getting Cy steamed."
"It's hard to ignore that kind of talk about her." says Thomas as he reaches the mantle.
"I'm sorry, Miss Scott, for all the things I said to you and your son." says Darlene to the picture above the fireplace.
"I'm sure she accepts it, knowing how you are now." says Thomas.
"Thomas, can I share something with you?" asks Darlene, turning to face Thomas.
"Yes, I think you can." says Thomas.
"Over the last couple of days, every time I thought about you, a strange feeling came over me." says Darlene.
"What kind of feeling?" asks Thomas.
"A strange feeling that I've never felt before. For some time now, I've been trying to figure out what it is." says Darlene.
"And have you?" asks Thomas.
"Yes, I have. It's love I was feeling." says Darlene.
"Love, for me?" asks Thomas.
"Yes. I can't help it. It seems so fast but not to me." says Darlene.
"I can see that." says Thomas.
"After all that time frozen, to think I can fall in love... " says Darlene.
"It's okay, Darlene." says Thomas.
"I just can't help myself." says Darlene, who then gives Thomas a quick kiss.
"What was that?" asks Thomas.
"A moment of passion." says Darlene.
"Why don't you stay around, just in case another moment of passion arises." says Thomas.
"Okay." says Darlene.
"Why don't we go into the study, with Cy?" asks Thomas.
"We can do that." says Darlene.
"Follow me, then." gestures Thomas as he makes his way back to the study, with Darlene following behind.
"Hello, you two." says Cy as the two make their entry into the room, strumming away.
"Cy, I've invited Darlene here to join in our jam session." says Thomas.
"You have?" asks Cy.
"Yes." says Thomas.
"You've got some lipstick on you." says Cy.
"Whatever do you mean?" asks Thomas.
"I mean, there's lipstick on your lips." says Cy.
"Cy, just play." says Thomas as he gets his guitar and begins to strum, with Darlene taking a chair.
"Yes, oh master." says Cy.
"If you're gonna do that, you might as well help me with my song." says Thomas.
"You're writing a song?" says Darlene.
"I've been giving him lessons in songwriting and how to write lyrics." says Cy.
"Are the lessons helping?" asks Darlene.
"I'm trying to compose a song with lyrics but I can't seem to work out the chords." says Thomas.
"I hope this song is better than Cy's compositions." says Darlene.
"Didn't I write one about you?" asks Cy.
"About the old frozen me. You must have heard it." says Darlene.
"Cy gave me a sample of it." says Thomas.
"I can't believe I once was like that." says Darlene.
"Maybe I can write a song about the new you." says Cy.
"That would be great, and I'll help you with the lyrics." says Darlene.
"Good. Here's what I have so far." says Thomas, who then plays a set of chards that sound like a slight shuffle in 2/4 time.
"I once was a frozen being, devoid of feeling." says Darlene.
"Good, good." says Thomas, continuing to play.
"I shun people for their worth, a frozen human upon this earth, but then I got some magic liquid into me, and was reborn as the woman you see." now sings Darlene.
"Give me a chorus." says Cy, still playing.
"I'm the melted iceberg, a puddle of warm water, I can feel once again, for I am a newborn daughter." sings Darlene.
"Great, great." says Cy as he stops playing.
"Not bad for someone with no musical training." says Darlene.
"Your voice sounded nice and the lyrics were clear and to the point." says Thomas.
"I tried my best." says Darlene.
"Darlene, I think that you and I can be the best of friends." says Cy.
"I've gotta go, Cy." says Darlene, getting up from her chair.
"You just got here." says Cy.
"I've gotta get back to work." says Darlene, leaving the room.
"See ya later." says Cy as he hears the front door open and close.
"What a strange visit." says Thomas.
"Not so to me. I detect the beginnings of a romance." says Cy.
"Me and Darlene? You can't be serious." says Thomas.
"I know people and how they act, trust me." says Cy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, Cy and Conrad convene on the home of the Sidewinders and meet the band, five guys with music in their soul.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment