Monday, August 30, 2010

Episode 61

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "Believe Me When I Tell You", Part 7

Last week, a strange woman arrived at the doorsteps of Cy's house, where Thomas lives and who was the subject of the woman's visit.  The woman, with the moniker of Mary Hartman, said she was a relative of Thomas' and proved to be very interesting to Cy.
Meanwhile, Cy added to his household when he took in a stray dog that had been annoying Mr. Gold.  On the way to the dog's new home, Cy was met by Chief McIntyre, who told him to get someone to sub for Polly for when her career overtook her job.
Cy soon found a person in Thomas when he got home and saw Mary on a mental vacation, so to speak.  Cy then took Thomas down to the police station to apply for the job.  After some talking and worries from both sides, Chief McIntyre soon awarded the job to Thomas, who was happy to actually have a means of employment.
As we begin this week, Conrad has been having his own flashback to Christmastime 1994 as he tries again to talk to sister Darlene...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hello, Conrad." says Darlene when she catches sight on Conrad, catching him off-guard and snapping him back to the present.

"Hello, Darlene." says Conrad.

"Making another attempt to talk to me, after what happened two Fridays in a row?" asks Darlene.

"I guess you could say that." says Conrad.

"Third time's the charm, they say. Maybe this time, we can have an actual conversation." says Darlene.

"Only if I can find a topic." says Conrad.

"Then find one, Conrad. How about this book?" says Darlene, before she hands over the work to Conrad.

"What Are Sisters For? Sounds like something Cy's mother might say." says Conrad.

"There's a topic we can also discuss." says Darlene.

"I don't think the wisdom of Debralee is up for discussion by anyone else but Cy." says Conrad.

"Another fine topic." says Darlene.

"Cy is not a topic." says Conrad.

"He can be. I've recently found his own wisdom quite interesting." says Darlene.

"Ever since you melted?" asks Conrad with a sarcastic tone.

"That's one topic we shouldn't bring up, for it's a touchy subject for you." says Darlene.

"It is not. I just don't want an alcoholic for a sister." says Conrad.

"I am not an alcoholic." says Darlene.

"How much do you drink a day?" asks Conrad.

"I won't answer to your spite." says Darlene.

"I know you think that you're better as a human, but it hurt you before." says Conrad.

"Let us not bring up that much history." says Darlene.

"I will, if it will get you to stop drinking." says Conrad.

"If Cy were here, he would get you to see my side." says Darlene.

"Cy is here and I've tried." says the voice of Cy behind Conrad.

"Cy, what are you doing here?" asks Conrad.

"I'm here with Thomas. I'm also here to return this book I borrowed back when your sister was frozen." says Cy as he takes the book from his inner jacket pocket.

"That was the day before my re-birth." says Darlene, taking the tome from Cy.

"That it was. I felt it wise to return it. I had actually forgotten it until you left my house a week ago." says Cy.

"When a week ago?" asks Darlene.

"After your date with Thomas here." says Cy.

"Must you bring that up?" asks Conrad.

"Is everything not living up to your higher-than-always standards?" asks Cy with a mocking tone.

"You're turning my sister into an alcoholic and Thomas' turning her into a whore!" screams Conrad.

"I will not have Darlene compared in that manner, Conrad." says Cy.

"Then do something." says Conrad.

"I'll just talk to Darlene." says Cy, who then moves away from Conrad.

"Must you go after Cy like that?" asks Thomas.

Conrad doesn't answer before he storms out of the library.

"Conrad and me used to be friends. Now, we're just co-workers." says Cy.

"I hope your friendship doesn't turn into something like you and Barry." says Darlene.

"I hope so, neither." says Cy.

"Can we go home now?" asks Thomas.

"What for? Don't you wanna stay and help me read this book?" asks Darlene.

"Nice title. Sounds like something my mother would say." says Cy, seeing it in Darlene's hands.

"That's what Conrad said about it." says Darlene.

"I guess the two of us aren't that apart yet. Anyway, Thomas wants to get home so he really introduce me to someone." says Cy.

"Who might that be?" asks Darlene.

"I'll tell you, but don't repeat it after I say it." says Cy.

"I won't, Cy. Tell me." says Darlene.

"It's a relative of Thomas' named... Mary Hartman." says Cy.

Darlene stands there a moment before saying, "Mary Hartman?"

"I told you not to do that." says Cy.

"I just wanna see your face when I said it after you." says Darlene.

"Well, she's currently on a trip without moving, if you get my meaning." says Cy.

"I get it." says Darlene.

"Let's go, Cy." says Thomas.

"I must depart, but remember my face." says Cy.

"I'll try to at least remember the nose." says Darlene as Cy and Thomas leave the library.

Some time later, Cy and Thomas arrive back at Cy's house. As they enter, they hear high-pitched giggles of laughter from the living room. As they walk into the living room, they see Mary, sitting on the floor, petting Liberty, and having fun with him.

"Hello, Mary." says Thomas.

"Hello, Thomas. Who's your friend?" says Mary as she gets off the floor.

"This is the owner of the house, Cy Scott." says Thomas.

"Hello, Mrs. Hartman." says Cy.

"That's Miss Hartman, Mr. Scott." says Mary as she walks over to where Cy and Thomas are standing.

"Call me Cy. It's how my mother called me." says Cy.

"Thomas here pointed out her picture over there." says Mary.

"Did Thomas say anything else?" asks Cy.

"Not really. He told me that you would explain." says Mary.

"Well, I do prefer to introduce my mother to other people, who might not have heard of her." says Cy.

"Please do explain." says Mary.

"Maybe I should hold off on the introduction until later." says Cy.

"That reminds me, I must go." says Mary.

"I hope not because of me." says Cy.

"No. I have food to find." says Mary.

"After your trip, you need it." says Cy.

"I like this guy. Thomas, I do wish to invite to my apartment for dinner." says Mary.

"He accepts, as long as I can come along." says Cy.

"You may come over." says Mary.

"I guess I could use some more time out of this house." says Thomas.

"I live at the Baker Street Apartments. I live in the one marked B." says Mary.

"221-B Baker Street? Sounds catchy." says Cy.

"I know. See you there at 7:00 pm." says Mary, who then makes her leave.

"You know, I feel that there's more to her than just being a relative." says Cy.

"Another one of your feelings?" asks Thomas.

"Just call it a hunch." says Cy.

"I trust your hunches by now." says Thomas.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, a small dinner becomes the scene of some big news, which will change not only Thomas' life but Cy, if he thinks about it hard enough.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment