Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Episode 43

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "It Only Takes a Moment", Part 2

Yesterday, we began our fourth serial of the series with a visit to the green room by Polly, who told Cy and Conrad of her offer from the owner of Tom's Place to let her perform there on Saturday.  Meanwhile, Conrad is still sore at Cy over his treatment of Darlene.  Cy tries to convince Conrad of the benefits of the human Darlene, with no success.
As we begin, Cy has decided to take charge of Polly's now-growing career...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

In the control room, Phil looks upon Barry and Terry in the studio, on the verge of wrapping up their show for the day, as Conrad enters the room.
"Good morning, Conrad." says Phil.
"Good morning." mumbles Conrad.
Just then, Cy makes his entry into the control room.
"Good morning, Phil." says Cy.
"Good morning to you. What's with Conrad this morning?" says Phil.
"He's still stuck on this whole human Darlene thing." says Cy.
"Don't you like your new human sister, Conrad?" asks Phil.
"Don't try to convince him of anything. Meanwhile, I've got something I wanna let you in on." says Cy.
"What might that be?" asks Phil.
"Polly has been asked to perform at Sam's Place this weekend by Sam himself." says Cy.
"That's a big time gig around here." says Phil.
"I know, and Polly told Sam that she'd bring her band along with her for the gig." says Cy.
"Meaning you and Elmer?" asks Phil.
"Now, I'm thinking that a band of larger size is needed." says Cy.
"What are you, her manager?" asks Phil.
"I guess I am, for now." says Cy.
After the show, Cy and Conrad make their way back to the green room, where Conrad takes another turn at the pinball machine as Cy enters the room. Cy then rushes over to the phone.
"Who are you calling?" asks Conrad.
"First, the star." says Cy as he dials the number to the police station.
After a few rings, the phone is picked up at the other end and the voice of Officer Grace is heard, "Hello?"
"This is Cy." says Cy.
"Cy, are you reporting an emergency?" asks Officer Grace, sitting at one of the many desks in the main office area.
"No, I need to discuss something with my client." says Cy.
"What client?" asks Officer Grace.
"Miss Polly McIntyre." says Cy.
"You do realize that it's against the law to use this line for personal business?" asks Officer Grace.
"It relates to Miss Polly's career as a singer." says Cy.
"I didn't realize that was her career." says Officer Grace.
"Just let me talk to Polly." says Cy.
"Alright. Just keep it short." says Officer Grace.
"Okay, Grace." says Cy.
"Polly, you're needed here on the phone." says Officer Grace to nearby Polly.
"Who's calling me on the police phone?" asks Polly, putting down her mop and walking over to where Officer Grace is sitting.
"Cy, your manager." says Officer Grace.
"Manager?" says Polly as she takes the phone from Officer Grace.
"Hello, Polly?" says Cy.
"Cy, since when are you my manager?" asks Polly.
"Just go with it, for I have something to tell you." says Cy.
"What is it, Cy?" asks Polly.
"I have decided to line up a band to back you during your Tom's Place gig." says Cy.
"And may I ask where are you getting this band?" asks Polly.
"From Elmer. I've decided to make the Sidewinders your back-up band." says Cy.
"I know you haven't talk to Elmer about this." says Polly.
"Then put him on." says Cy.
"Elmer, you're needed on the phone." says Polly, moving the phone away from her ear.
"Who's on the wine?" asks Elmer as he walks over.
"Cy, my manager." says Polly, giving the phone to Elmer.
"Youw managew?" says Elmer as he puts the phone to his ear.
"Is that you, Elmer?" asks Cy.
"Yes, it's me, Cy. You mind tewwing me what you want outta me?" says Elmer.
"Your band." says Cy.
"My band? What fow?" asks Elmer.
"To back Polly during her gig at Tom's Place." says Cy.
"I thought me and you wewe the backing band." says Elmer.
"If I'm her manager, I can't very well be in the band, can I?" says Cy.
"I guess you'we wight." says Elmer.
"So, can you get the Sidewinders together for a little jam session?" asks Cy.
"Just say when and we'ww be thewe." says Elmer.
"This afternoon at 2:00 pm, wherever you guys rehearse." says Cy.
"That wouwd be 214 Thiwd Stweet. Thewe's a key undew the mat." says Elmer.
"I'll see you guys there." says Cy, who then hangs up the phone.
"I did it. I got a band for Polly and a place in the organization." says Cy.
"What organization? There is no organization for Polly." says Conrad.
"Not yet, you mean." says Cy.
"If you're bent on this, I might as well tag along and see how well the Sidewinders practice with Polly." says Conrad.
"I knew I could win you over." says Cy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, Cy's boarder Thomas receives a strange phone call from Darlene and Cy sees something that Thomas doesn't think is there.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment