Friday, August 13, 2010

Episode 50

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you the 50th episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "It Only Takes a Moment", Part 9

Yesterday, Darlene and Thomas settled into their first date together.  Meanwhile, Cy waits for the first meal he would share with Joanne, prepared by her.  However, the waiting was interupted by Conrad, who told him that Darlene was missing.  Rather than ruin Thomas' date by telling the truth, he only tells him that she'll be home in the morning. 
As we begin, the eating phase of the date has ended, and now, it's time for talking...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Back down at Cathy's Tavern, Thomas and Darlene are receiving their order of hot wings, with two glasses of beer as chaser.
"So, these are hot wings?" says Darlene.
"Yes. Should I take the first bite or you?" says Thomas.
"I'll go first." says Darlene.
"Suit yourself." says Thomas.
Darlene then picks up one of the sauce-covered wings and puts it in her mouth and bites down, which is met by the rush of intense heat on her tongue and all over. She then feels a burning sensation in her mouth and pulls the wing away.
"That's hot." says Darlene.
"That should melt you further." says Thomas, taking one.
Thomas then takes a bite without problem, surprising Darlene with how well he takes the heat. He takes a few more bites before he places what remains in the basket, while Darlene just takes a sip of beer to cool off her tongue.
"How can you eat those?" asks Darlene.
"Years of bland prison food." says Thomas.
"I should ask you about that, but I know you're trying to forget." says Darlene.
"I'll never forget my upbringing." says Thomas.
"So you say. I don't think prison's right for anyone." says Darlene.
"I spent about five years in prison and I learned a valuable lesson." says Thomas.
"Did your mother teach you anything?" asks Darlene.
"She wasn't there. She was dead." says Thomas.
"What happened to her?" asks Darlene.
"She died giving birth to me, or so my father told me." says Thomas.
"What happened after that?" asks Darlene.
"My father raised me the best." says Thomas.
"And how well did he do?" asks Darlene.
"Look at the results. Him and me didn't see eye to eye." says Thomas.
"What happened then?" asks Darlene.
"I turned to crime." says Thomas.
"That must have stuck with him." says Darlene.
"He never really seemed to care. I wonder what my mother think about the two of us together?" says Thomas.
"Probably how happy you must be, seeing how I melted before it happened." says Darlene.
"Say, how did you freeze in the first place?" asks Thomas.
"Let's not talk about that right now." says Darlene as she downs a good-sized gulp of beer.
"Easy on the stuff." says Thomas.
"I'm being careful." says Darlene.
"How much have you drank since you melted?" asks Thomas.
"A couple of times a day." says Darlene.
"But how much?" asks Thomas.
"I forget how much, but it doesn't matter. I'm with you now and you're all I need." says Darlene, taking both of Thomas' hands.
"You're very nice." says Thomas.
"Wait until later, I'll be very, very nice." says Darlene with a wink.
Midnight soon comes and goes and at Cy's house, Cy tries to settle in for the night in the comfort of his easy chair, thinking ahead. He soon drifts off and some time later, Thomas and Darlene enter through the door, both drunk and happy.
"Be quiet, as not to wake up Cy." says Thomas as he slowly closes the door behind him.
"I'll try." says Darlene with a giggle.
"Let us make our way to the bedroom." says Thomas.
"I'll join you." says Darlene as the two stumble in the dark towards the bedroom.
The night soon passes and another morning dawns on Hyperion. In the easy chair, Cy is stirred when the alarm clock goes off at 6:00 am. He quickly silences the device and takes a scan of the room. He soon gets out of the easy chair and makes way for the bedroom.
When he gets there, he quietly pushes the door open and spies Darlene and Thomas, together in each others' arms. Articles of clothing can be seen on the floor. After a minute, he quietly closes the door. In the bed, Thomas stirs from his slumber, as does Darlene.
"That was great." says Darlene.
"Thanks. I haven't done in a long time." says Thomas.
"I see time hasn't ruin you any." says Darlene.
"And being a iceberg the same." says Thomas.
"I can't believe I tried to go through life alone." says Darlene.
"You maybe, but I've always tried to make friends." says Thomas.
"Not as well as you should." says Darlene.
"Why couldn't have done this when you were frozen?" asks Thomas.
"You probably wouldn't have liked me." says Darlene.
"I agree with that. I'm glad we had this time together." says Thomas.
"Me, too." says Darlene.
"I wonder how Cy faired the night in his easy chair." says Thomas.
"I wonder what will happen if he finds out?" asks Darlene.
"Cy? He's understanding." says Thomas.
"But not Conrad. He's very protective of me." says Darlene.
"He's not your husband." says Thomas.
"You might be one day." says Darlene.
"Is that a promise?" asks Thomas.
"I guess so. After what happened, we can't just forget it." says Thomas.
"You're right. Let's do this again some time." says Darlene.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Next week, the aftermath of the first date of Darlene and Thomas spread like wildfire, and almost burns down a romance, a friendship, and a whole lot more.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment