Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Episode 62

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "Believe Me When I Tell You", Part 8

Yesterday, we began the week with Cy and Thomas at the library, interupting another of Conrad's attempts to talk to Darlene as a human.  After that, Cy and Thomas made their way home, where they found Mary, who had ended her trip.  She then issued an invite for Cy and Thomas to join her for a dinner at her place that night, which was accepted.
As we begin today, the day soon passes...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Evening soon decends on Hyperion and Cy and Thomas make their way to the Baker Street Apartments. The building has aged since its heyday and the front of the building shows off its age as Cy and Thomas make their way inside.

"This place has seen better days, apparently." says Cy.

"You've never been here before, Cy." says Thomas.

"I know that, but places do change all the time." says Cy.

"That's seems to be the state of things." says Thomas.

"More than you know, Thomas. This is the place." says Cy as they reach the door marked B.

"Who's gonna knock first?" asks Thomas.

"You should. After all, she is your relative." says Cy.

"But her name means more to you." says Thomas in a slight mocking tone.

"My line of reasoning is correct, unlike yours." says Cy.

Thomas then knocks a couple of times on the door. After a moment, a voice inside says, "Please, come in."

Cy then turns the knob and finds it unlocked and pushes it open. As he and Thomas walk inside, the sounds of "In-da-Gadda-da-Vida" can be heard. The very inside is decorated like something out of the 1960s, complete with a slight haze in the air.

"What a place." says Thomas.

"And you're related to her." says Cy.

"Don't drag me into this, Cy." says Thomas.

"You walk over here willingly." says Cy as he and Thomas continue inside and close the door.

"Where's Mary?" asks Thomas.

"I'm sure she's somewhere on this planet." says Cy.

"I'm right here." says Mary.

The two look around and find Mary, lying down on the floor, eyes closed, and deep in thought.

"Meditating?" asks Cy.

"Just reaching into the deepest areas of my mind." says Mary.

"I know all about that." says Cy.

"You meditate, Cy?" asks Mary as she gets off the floor.

"No, but my mother told me about it a few times." says Cy.

"She do it herself?" asks Mary.

"Only a few times in the early seventies." says Cy.

"We must talk about her." says Mary as she makes her way to the kitchen.

"Now is the time." says Cy.

"Thomas, don't you have anything to say?" asks Mary.

"Not really at the moment." says Thomas.

"I'll speak for him until his brain can understand his surroundings." says Cy.

"It's my life. I live for my youth." says Mary.

"So did my mother, but a decade before." says Cy.

"When was she born?" asks Mary.

"1953." says Cy.

"Why did you ask about that?" asks Thomas.

"Nothing. Just thought I would ask." says Mary.

"Let's talk about something else." says Thomas.

"What about you shall we talk about?" asks Mary as she emerges from the kitchen with a large tray.

"There's nothing about me to talk about." says Thomas.

"Thomas, I think dinner is served." says Cy, pointing to the small table near the window.

At the table, Mary sets down the large tray. On the tray lays three plates, filled with the staples of the hipple diet, including leafy greens.

"You're right, Cy. Please sit down." says Mary, pointing at two extra chairs at the table.

Cy and Thomas then makes their way over and take their places at the tables and are served their meals.

"Just what I like, hipple food." says Cy.

"I haven't eaten meat since I was born." says Mary.

"So, you were born into this whole hipple life." says Cy.

"You might say that. My parents were in on it from the beginning and it wasn't long before they had me." says Mary.

"Were your parents in any way from Ohio?" asks Cy.

"No. They're were from Hyperion. Why do you ask?" says Mary.

"Maybe it's the time my mother entered the picture." says Cy.

"Please tell me. I've been dying to know since our paths crossed." says Mary.

"My mother was a famous actress." says Cy.

"Do tell more." says Mary.

"Her career was the best in the seventies. She had potential, if only someone had really noticed." says Cy.

"She sounds very interesting to me." says Mary.

"She was on a series that featured someone with your name." says Cy.

"That explains it. I thought I had some idea." says Mary.

"You watched that show?" asks Cy.

"I did. My parents felt it was good to me." says Mary.

"And the fact that their daughter shared a title with it didn't bother them?" asks Cy.

"No, not at all." says Mary.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, over a plate of vegetables and other such items, a piece of dinner conversation leads to information that changed the nature of the dinner, and of Thomas' life.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment