Thursday, August 19, 2010

Episode 54

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "It Only Takes a Moment", Part 13

Yesterday, Cy, trying to keep the peace, told Conrad that he would have a serious discussion with Darlene and Thomas at Polly's concert at Tom's Place.  Soon, the time arrived and all arrived at the place.  Cy, as manager, soon met up with the owner, Tom Morgan, and his wife, Becky. 
As we begin today, Conrad is trying to avoid being with Darlene and Thomas, with the usual results...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Conrad, why don't we sit over here?" asks Darlene, stepping onto the stage and pointing to a table.

"I don't think he wants to." says Cy.

"He's not harming you." says Darlene.

"Yet." says Cy.

"Get over here, Conrad." says Darlene.

"We can talk right here." says Conrad.

"Okay then. So, Conrad, how have you been since last week?" asks Darlene.

"The usual." says Conrad.

"That's what you said last week." says Darlene.

"I can't help it if my life doesn't change much." says Conrad.

"Come on, Darlene, he's not gonna talking to you." says Cy.

"You know, maybe if you kept your hands off my sister, I could talk more." says Conrad.

"What's that supposed to mean?" asks Cy.

"It means that your very actions are ruining my sister!" says Conrad.

"Do you wanna fight over this?" asks Cy.

"That would stupid and might hurt her more than what you're just doing." says Conrad.

"Can't we talk like normal people?" asks Cy.

"He's a ex-con. His right as a normal person is gone." says Conrad.

"Is that so? Just because of where he's been is no reason to fight this." says Cy.

"Guys, stop fighting over me!" says Darlene at the top of her lungs.

"What a voice." says Cy.

"I can't help it, Darlene. I mean, I haven't talk to the human Darlene since you were seven and I forget how we used to be." says Conrad.

"We used to be each other's best friend, remember?" asks Darlene.

"I remember that. I also remember what happened." says Conrad.

"That's all in the past." says Darlene.

"Darlene, how can I talk you as a human and not an iceberg?" asks Conrad.

"Just talk. I'll listen to your words." says Darlene.

"Well, where do I start?" asks Conrad.

"Just say something to me." says Darlene.

As the performance time nears, Cy makes his way to a table, where he finds Joanne sitting, drinking away at a mug of beer. Meanwhile, Conrad and Darlene make their way to the table where Thomas is sitting.

"Three weeks ago, you couldn't handle a bottle." says Cy, sitting down.

"I've learned since then." says Joanne.

"Time for Polly to sing." says Cy.

"Did you learn your ten percent?" asks Joanne.

"It's a small amount in total. I wish not to discuss it further." says Cy.

"That small? Well, it'll grow." says Joanne.

"Only if your father has any ideas." says Cy.

"I'll help out. May I join this organization?" says Joanne.

"Be my secretary and sit on my lap?" asks Cy.

"And more." says Joanne.

At the other table, Conrad and Darlene sit silently, while Thomas looks on with amazement.

"You two are siblings. Now, I've heard of sibling rivalry but this is stupid." says Thomas.

"I can't help it. You and Cy are ruining my sister." says Conrad.

"I thought we settled this." says Darlene.

"I guess we haven't." says Conrad.

"Well, if you're gonna sit here, Conrad, you must keep your anger to yourself. C'mon, let us talk." says Darlene.

"Talk about what?" asks Conrad.

"Let's talk about something we know." says Darlene.

"How about our childhoods, or have you forgotten that?" says Conrad.

"I haven't. I've gotten over it." says Darlene.

"How can I be sure?" asks Conrad.

"Trust me, I have. You must learn to trust me." says Darlene.

"I'm not sure I can." says Conrad.

"You will." says Darlene.

On the stage, Tom speaks into a microphone, "All right, ladies and gentlemen. Tom's Place is pleased to present here for the first time, Miss Polly McIntyre!"

Tom then quickly runs off the stage as Polly and the Sidewinders launch into their version of "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" with gusto. As Polly starts in on the lyrics, the audience gives some slight applause and listen in. Back at the table where Darlene, Thomas, and Conrad are sitting, the three are talking away like old friends.

Cy looks over at the table and smiles, as he feels a sense of helpfuliness over him. Joanne catches the smile and does one, too. Then, as the band starts in on the bridge, Darlene and Thomas make their way to the place's dance floor and begin waltzing.

Cy and Joanne, seeing this, join the dancing, as do Tom and Becky. The sight of three couples of different kinds makes Conrad laugh before he realizes that the worst of Darlene's return to humanity is about to begin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, we begin our fifth serial of the series with something unusual: a Christmas flashback to an earlier time: Cy and Conrad's childhood.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment