Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Episode 53

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "It Only Takes a Moment", Part 12

Yesterday, we learned that the knock at the door was Officer Grace, coming to take Thomas in for a rape, reported by Conrad, with the victim being Darlene.  After some talking, Thomas headed down, along with Cy, to sort things out.  Once there, Cy found Conrad and Darlene.  Quick as a flash, Cy proved that Conrad's report was fake and had Conrad sent to jail...
For just a few hours.  Cy then had Officer Grace let him out, with a promise not to harm the happy couple again.  As we begin today, another day dawns...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday soon rolls around and in the WHYP green room, Cy enters with the biggest smile on his face as Conrad gets himself a cup of coffee and one of Cy.

"Good morning, Cy." says Conrad as he hands over one of the cups.

"Good morning to you. Today is a big day." says Cy.

"Yes, Friday at last." says Conrad.

"No, today's the day of Polly's gig at Tom's Place, the one I'm overseeing." says Cy.

"You still think yourself her manager." says Conrad.

"I am. Someone has to be to young talent such as Polly." says Cy.

"I don't think she needs your help." says Conrad.

"I don't see why. I've helped a lot of people lately, including you." says Cy.

"The jury's still out on that one, Cy." says Conrad.

"I've invited Thomas and Darlene to the gig, and I invite you, in the hopes of finally meeting the melted Darlene." says Cy.

"I thought I did last week." says Conrad.

"You still only see the ice. You need to see the human that has been freed." says Cy.

"I've seen that human before and I do miss it." says Conrad.

"Then why don't be on my side of things?" asks Cy.

"Because she'll end up being harmed by it." says Conrad.

"In what way?" asks Cy.

"I can't say, you wouldn't understand." says Conrad.

"Well, if you miss that human Darlene, just sit down and talk to her as you would to an old friend." says Cy.

"I guess so. You're getting very smart lately." says Conrad.

"My mind is a test of evolution." says Cy.

The day soon turns into the evening and Hyperion bathes in magic hour lighting as Cy makes his way to Tom's Place. The very building that contains the place has seen a lot in its life. Above the door, a sign hangs with the words "Tom's Place" written on it. As Cy arrives under it, so does Conrad.

"Hello, Cy." says Conrad.

"Well, once again, time for you to meet the human Darlene." says Cy.

"It didn't seem to work last time." says Conrad.

"Just remember what I said today." says Cy.

"Talk to her like an old friend." says Conrad.

"Don't talk to the iceberg, talk to the human." says Cy.

"Got it." says Conrad.

"Shall we?" says Cy as he gestures to the front door.

Cy and Conrad make their way into the building. Inside, the same crowd from two weeks ago hangs around, with some new faces added and some faces gone. The very atmosphere speaks of the type of place is it: good old-fashioned honky-tonk.

On the same stage that the Sidewinders alone played at two weeks ago, they stand again, this time with Polly, preparing themselves for their gig backing her on this, her second public gig. Cy and Conrad soon make their way way over to the stage and step onto it to oversee Polly and the Sidewinders.

"Well, tonight's the night. If Tuesday's all-day session proved anything, it proved that you're ready." says Cy.

"Of couwse we awe." says Elmer.

"I hope that if you get paid, that you remember my ten percent." says Cy.

"Still think you're my manager?" asks Polly.

"Everyone needs a hobby. Besides, I've got experience in handling performers." says Cy.

"Where?" asks Polly, in a manner as if she knows the answer.

"My mother. She was an agent for a troupe and she always got her ten percent." says Cy.

"Very wise woman she was in having you." says Polly.

"Don't go that way." says Cy.

"Then why don't you go that way?" says a man behind Cy, pointing towards off the stage.

The man looks to be about between 55 and 60, his hair moving from brown to grey to white quite easily. An very aged blue demim jacket hangs over a button shirt and tie combo, with blue jeans on the lower half looking as faded as the jacket.

"Excuse me, I don't believe we've met. I'm Cy Scott, Miss McInytre's manager." says Cy, turning around to shake the man's hand.

"I'm Tom Morgan, the owner of this place." says the man, shaking it.

"Nice to meet you, sir." says Cy.

"You mind explaining what you're doing here?" asks Tom.

"I will. I'm here to oversee my investment in Miss Polly. I have sunk some trust in her and I don't wanna see it wasted." says Cy.

"Why don't you invest some money? It goes quicker." says Tom.

"You're very good at catching my drift there." says Cy.

"Thanks. I used to be like you." says Tom.

"Have I heard of your mother?" asks Cy.

"No, but I have taken the time to watch yours. You see, I listen to you every morning and your mother is the kind of woman I'd like to have married." says Tom.

"But you married me instead, Tom." says a woman, coming onto the stage.

The woman is the same age range as Tom, her hair also going from the same colors with easy. Her manner is very sixties: t-shirt, vest, and blue jeans, as if a reminder of that decade in clothing, much as Cy's manner of dress is of the seventies.

"Hello, Becky." says Tom.

"I guess you must be Mrs. Morgan." says Cy, extending a hand.

"Becky Morgan, that is. I listen to you as well." says Becky.

"It's always nice to meet one's listerners." says Cy.

"He's here as Polly's manager." says Tom.

"Keeping an eye on your ten percent?" asks Becky.

"I can see why you married her, Mr. Morgan." says Cy.

"Call me Tom, please." says Tom.

"Or Tommy." says Becky.

"That was a long time ago." says Tom.

"I'll remember that." says Cy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, we conclude the fourth serial of the series with Polly's performance with the Sidewinders and Conrad's talk with the happy couple of Darlene and Thomas, which proves interesting to all involved.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment