Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Episode 47

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "It Only Takes a Moment", Part 6

Yesterday, Polly and the Sidewinders had their first rehearsal and it went well.  It went so well that Polly and the Sidewinders have decided to hold an all-day rehearsal to really get in tune.  This interests manager Cy, who invites Conrad, Phil, Joanne, Darlene, and Thomas to watch the rehearsal and take it great music.  As we begin, the all-day rehearsal has begun and now, it's about noon...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Some time later, Cy and Conrad, along with Darlene, Thomas, and Joanne, make their way up to the front door of 214 Third Street. From inside can be heard the sounds of Polly and the Sidewinders playing away as they rehearse.
"Listen to those guys." says Darlene.
"They're really playing together." says Cy.
"Nice to invite me to this rehearsal." says Joanne.
"Elmer yesterday told me that I can bring people to today's rehearsal, as a means of getting the sound right in front of an audience." says Cy.
"Do you understand that, Cy?" asks Joanne.
"Not in the least, Joanne, but it's nice to have such a day in your week." says Cy.
"I don't understand that either." says Joanne.
"Then me and Elmer are even, wordwise." says Cy.
"Just get us inside without the confusion." says Joanne as the group reaches the door.
Cy gives it a swift knock and the music inside winds down to a stop. Then, footsteps can be heard walking up to the door. When the footsteps stop, the door swings open and Elmer can be seen in the doorway.
"Good day, peopwe." says Elmer.
"Good day to you. I brought you an audience, as you requested." says Cy.
"Thanks. Pwease step inside." says Elmer, gesturing inward.
The group then step inside the studio and find Polly and the other Sidewinders standing around, waiting for Elmer to return.
"Hello, gang." says Cy.
"Glad to see you guys. How long do you plan to stay?" says Polly.
"How long are you planning?" asks Cy.
"I get it. Elmer, get your fiddle and let's get back to work." says Polly.
"Anothew take of 'You'we Stiww on My Mind'?" asks Elmer.
"You got it." says Polly.
"Then wet's not wait." says Elmer, who then leads the band back into the song.
"I hope Polly sounds great with them." says Joanne.
"Trust me, they do." says Cy.
Polly then launches into the lyrics and the Sidewinders play in time with Polly's voice, along with their own cues.
"You ain't kidding, Cy." says Joanne.
"Those guys know how to back Polly and in what key." says Cy.
"I feel like a little dancing." says Darlene.
"Then by all means." says Cy.
Darlene then starts doing a small dance, dancing her way around the area in front of where Polly and the band are playing. They soon take note and launch into a bridge, giving Darlene room to dance.
"Darlene's sure feeling the music." says Cy.
"I can see that, Cy." says Conrad.
"Like a little gypsy." says Cy.
"Give her a tamborline and she'll fit in." says Joanne.
The band soon come out of their bridge and finish the lyrics. Their ending flurish is soon met by applause from those assembled. Without a beat, the band launch into another song, this time "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere"
"Nice to hear some Dylan." says Cy.
"It always is." says Thomas.
"Same here." says Joanne.
The group then move towards a row of chairs, set up for them. There are more chairs than people. As the group sits down, Polly goes into the lyrics of the song, singing them a bit like Dylan himself.
"How long do we sit here?" asks Conrad.
"As long as you feel." says Cy.
"I wonder how long that will be?" asks Darlene as she takes a seat.
"Like I said, as long as you feel." says Cy.
"Good enough." says Thomas as he takes a seat.
"I just wanna listen all day." says Joanne.
"Conrad, enjoy yourself. This is a good chance to have some fun after all the sour feeling you've been giving off lately." says Cy.
"I'm not sour." says Conrad.
"Yes, you have, ever since Darlene went from being an iceberg to a warm human being." says Cy.
"He still not taking this new me?" asks Darlene.
"Not in the least, although I think there is some give in his personality over this." says Cy.
"Maybe he's starting to take my place as a human iceberg." says Darlene.
"The universe likes balance, so it could be." says Cy.
"I'm not freezing." says Conrad.
"How do you know? Did Darlene know?" asks Cy.
"She was perfect just the way she was." says Conrad.
"How can you say that?" asks Cy.
"I can." says Conrad.
"You can't. Unlike fish, people aren't good frozen." says Cy.
"My sister is not a fish." says Conrad.
"Conrad, do whatever you like, but I will not allow Darlene to re-freeze." says Cy, back at the arguement.
"Watch me, Cy, watch me!" says Conrad.
"You two. Can't you just leave this alone today?" says Joanne.
"I can't help it. Conrad started it." says Cy.
"You started it, Cy, not me." says Conrad.
"You did, too." says Cy.
"You did." says Conrad.
"You did, Conrad. Admit it." says Cy.
"I will not, Conrad." says Conrad.
"Admit it yourself!" says Cy.
"Silence!" says Darlene.
"Good idea." says Cy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, Darlene and Thomas have their chance to talk and a romance finally gets a chance to fly, with a few minor things first on the ground to organize.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment