Friday, August 27, 2010

Episode 60

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "Believe Me When I Tell You", Part 6

Yesterday, Cy took Thomas down to the police station to have him apply for the job that Chief McIntyre told him to fill.  After some talking and some worry, Thomas got the job and another chance to prove himself. 
As we begin today, Cy and Thomas are about to make their leave...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Back at the police station, Polly continues her mopping, Elmer continues to tune his fiddle, and Cy is quietly pacing back and forth as he waits for Thomas' interview with Chief McIntyre to end. Eventually, Thomas steps out of the office, followed by Chief McIntyre.

"I've got the job!" says Thomas.

"He's the only one who applied for it, so I had to give it to him. You start tomorrow at 6:00 am." says Chief McIntyre, who then retreats back into his office.

"You're officially a member of the work force." says Cy.

"And I'll do my best." says Thomas.

"Just remember to keep this place as clean as I would." says Polly.

"Come on, Thomas, let us make our way home." says Cy as he begins a path to the door.

"What if Mary's still on her trip?" asks Thomas as he follows behind.

"We'll take the scenic route home." says Cy as he opens the door.

"What's the scenic route?" asks Thomas.

"You'll see." says Cy as he and Thomas step out the door and close it.

"Thomas seems to have taken the place of Conrad." says Polly.

"That's youw opinion, Powwy." says Elmer.

"Cy and Conrad's friendship seems to be on the outs, even since Darlene's icy core melted." says Polly.

"I was thewe at Tom's Pwace on Fwiday." says Elmer.

"It's something more than that, I'm afraid. I wonder how long Cy and Conrad can keep working together before their distance shows up on radio?" says Polly.

"That's a good question, too, Powwy." says Elmer.

At the library, Darlene is standing at the reception desk, staring her eyes not at the people, but in the pages of an old book. As she reads the lines in the book, her eyes are glazed over somewhat with passion for the characters within.

As she continues her reading, Conrad, quietly and slowly, makes his way into the library, looking around for Darlene. He eventually finds her at the reception desk and slowly makes his way over to it.

He then stares at Darlene for a minute. As he does, his mind springs backwards in time, as if for no other reason then to remind himself of what Darlene once was.

It is December of 1994 and Conrad is just returning home from walking home with Cy, who has continued on his way. As he enters, he hears the sounds of his mother and father talking away, standing around the Christmas tree.

"That seems to be a bit much tinsel." says Mr. Harris.

"It's just enough." says Mrs. Harris.

"Hi, mom. Hi, dad." says Conrad.

"Hello, son. Nice to see you made it again." says Mrs. Harris.

"I was with Cy." says Conrad.

"I still don't get what you see in that boy." says Darlene, walking into the room.

Her appearence is a younger version of her iceberg outfit, very conversed and very covered, looking like she stepped out of a 19th century painting.

"Hello, sis." says Conrad.

"Hello, my brother." says Darlene.

"How was your day?" asks Conrad.

"It was a usual day." says Darlene.

"It's Christmas, Darlene. Why don't you lighten up?" says Conrad.

"You've spent too much time with Cyrus." says Darlene.

"He's a nice guy, and so is his mother." says Conrad.

"That Debralee. I wonder what values she's giving her son." says Mr. Harris.

"Good ones, I bet." says Mrs. Harris.

"I know that. She's always kind to people." says Conrad.

"I'd mind him, if it wasn't for that father of his." says Darlene.

"He's a trucker, Darlene. He spends his time working for both himself and others." says Conrad.

"That's what Cyrus told you, but I don't believe it." says Darlene.

"He says the truth. His mother told him never to lie." says Conrad.

"If she wanted the best for her son, he'd be sent to a private school." says Darlene.

"No one can be like you, Darlene." says Conrad.

"He has his nerve to call me a human iceberg." says Darlene.

"You are a little cold, Darlene." says Conrad.

"Still, I am the best." says Darlene.

"If you say so." says Conrad.

"I always know so, my brother." says Darlene.

"I worry, honey." says Mrs. Harris.

"Why do you ask?" asks Mr. Harris.

"She hasn't called Conrad by his name in a few months." says Mrs. Harris.

"It's just a phase, dear. She'll grow out of it." says Mr. Harris.

"I've barely forgiven her for what you did to her." says Mrs. Harris.

"But you have just the same." says Mr. Harris.

"That's what worries me, dear." says Mrs. Harris.

"Let's get back to the tree, Lola." says Mr. Harris.

"I guess I have no choice." says Mrs. Harris.

"Sis, why don't we help them?" asks Conrad.

"It's a waste of time, my brother. Therefore, I will take my leave." says Darlene, who then leaves the room.

"I'll help you." says Conrad as he runs up to the tree.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Next week, a mystery cloaked in the past appears before Thomas, and the newest janitor for the police station finds it more than he can bear, or so he thinks.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment