Thursday, August 26, 2010

Episode 59

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "Believe Me When I Tell You", Part 5

Yesterday, as Cy, Conrad, and Cy's new dog were walking past the police station, they were met by Chief McIntyre, who told Cy to get someone to fill in for Polly for when her growing musical career overtakes her job.  Cy and the dog soon made it home, when Thomas filled him in on the strange woman and her identity.  After some thought, Cy decides to leave the house and take Thomas with them.
As we begin, Cy and Thomas have begun their walk to an interesting locale...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Down at the police station, Polly is doing her usual bit of mopping, as Elmer looks on, pulling the fiddle bow across the strings as he tries to figure out a tune. The melody he is playing echoes inside the main office area and slightly annoys Chief McIntyre.

"Must you do that during work?" asks Chief McIntyre.

"I must keep my fiddwe in tune." says Elmer.

"He is the leader of my backing band." says Polly.

"Don't talk like that, Polly." says Chief McIntyre.

"It's my career." says Polly.

"You have a job to do." says Chief McIntyre.

"I didn't like how you threaten Cy earlier." says Polly.

"I didn't threaten him. I only told him to straighten out his priorities with you." says Chief McIntyre.

"It suwe sounded wike a thweat." says Elmer.

"Get back to your fiddle-tuning, Elmer." says Chief McIntyre.

"I see that inter-departmental relation are going well." says Cy as he enters with Thomas.

"Hello, Cy. How's my manager today?" says Polly.

"Doing well." says Cy.

"What's Thomas doing with you?" asks Polly.

"I brought him here to solve the problem posed to me by Chief McIntyre, to give you a fill-in when your musical commentments override your job here." says Cy.

"You expect me to hire Thomas as Polly's fill-in?" asks Chief McIntyre.

"You cut to the quick there. That is the idea." says Cy.

"Me? Hire an ex-con?" says Chief McIntyre.

"It's a great idea. It would give him something to do besides hanging around my house all day." says Cy.

"I'll take the chance, but you didn't have to come down here so soon." says Chief McIntyre.

"Well, I had the time due to a visitor Thomas has." says Cy.

"Why does a visitor have to do with all of this?" asks Polly.

"Well, she's very much a fan of the sixties, if you catch my drift." says Cy.

"Taking a twip without moving?" asks Elmer.

"You are a musician, aren't you?" says Cy.

"A coupwe of twips in my wife." says Elmer.

"I think I can figure that out. Anyway, the strangeness of Thomas' visitor lays not in her recreation but her name." says Cy.

"What is her name?" asks Polly.

"Listen, if you repeat the name after I say it, I will fire you and your career is finished." says Cy.

"Tell me her name, Cy." says Polly.

"Her name is... Mary Hartman." says Cy.

"Mar... " says Polly before she remembers what Cy had said.

"My mother told me not to laugh so hard at her, for I may met her one day." says Cy.

"From what you said, I doubt she's a housewife from Ohio." says Polly.

"She says she's related to Thomas. That means that he could be... " says Cy.

"I get the point thewe as weww." says Elmer.

"Must you interject into my conversation?" asks Cy.

"I thought I couwd tawk awong with you." says Elmer.

"Anyway, we're just waiting for Mary to return from her trip." says Cy.

"In the meantime, I can interview Thomas for the job." says Chief McIntyre.

"I'll be right back." says Thomas as he makes his way to Chief McIntyre's office.

"He almost missed making a movie quote in the right place." says Cy.

"That's outside youw time fwame." says Elmer.

"Tune your fiddle, Elmer." says Cy.

Over at WHYP, Phil steps out of the front doors and breathes in some freah air with open nose and mouth. As he relaxes a bit, he spies Officer Grace walking up to the building.

"Good day, Officer Grace." says Phil.

"Just call me Grace." says Officer Grace.

"I prefer the old one, unlike Cy." says Phil.

"He did bring us together." says Officer Grace.

"We brought ourselves together." says Phil.

"I'd like to think Cy had a hand in our relationship." says Officer Grace.

"Even when he's not here?" asks Phil.

"What does that mean?" asks Officer Grace.

"Nothing. I'm just a little bored today." says Phil.

"You work more hours than anyone here." says Officer Grace.

"I know, and there's nothing to break up the monotony." says Phil.

"What about the pinball machine Cy and Conrad found?" asks Officer Grace.

"That's become stale. It doesn't help anymore." says Phil.

"What do you expect to you outside?" asks Officer Grace.

"I thought I would wing it when I got out here." says Phil.

"Maybe you can tag along with me for a little while." says Officer Grace.

"You think Mr. Gold won't mind if I'm not here?" asks Phil.

"He'll never know." says Officer Grace.

"I'll join you then." says Phil, who then follows Officer Grace as she begins to walk away from the building.

"Nice of you to tag along." says Officer Grace.

"Thanks for allowing me to do so. I needed the company today." says Phil.

"Have you been lonely lately?" asks Officer Grace.

"Not really. Just that since we began this relationship, we haven't seen much of each other." says Phil.

"I'm a police officer. I have a duty to the citizens." says Officer Grace.

"It would be nice for you to work me in once in a while." says Phil.

"We have dates, Phil." says Officer Grace.

"But that isn't enough for me. I need you more." says Phil.

"And how do you suppose we do that?" asks Officer Grace.

"I was hoping that spending time with you would do so." says Phil.

"I was with you a few nights ago." says Officer Grace.

"That's the point. I should be set but I'm not." says Phil.

"Do you need to see me more often?" asks Officer Grace.

"I don't know, do I?" says Phil.

"I don't know myself. I have my work." says Officer Grace.

"Me, too." says Phil.

"So how do we solve this problem?" asks Officer Grace.

"Maybe you can quit your job." says Phil.

"Not an option. Maybe we can have a date every night." says Officer Grace.

"A little too much." says Phil.

"How about once in a while?" says Officer Grace.

"That's what we're doing right now." says Phil.

"Let's keep it, then." says Officer Grace.

"You know a lot." says Phil.

"I'm a cop, that's my job." says Officer Grace.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, Thomas receives his new lot in life and Conrad gives us his own story from Christmastime 1994, if only to remember how things should be.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment