Monday, August 23, 2010

Episode 56

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "Believe Me When I Tell You", Part 2

Last week, we ended our fourth serial of the series with Conrad, having found out about Darlene's relationship with Thomas, accusing Thomas of rape, causing Cy to come to the lovebirds' defense and get Conrad to spend a few hours behind bars for filing a false report.
Then, Cy invited Conrad to Polly's gig at Tom's Place, in order to get to know Darlene and Thomas together.  Things seem to be fine until the performance started and realized that Darlene's return to being human was not over yet.
Then, on Friday, we began our fifth serial of the series with Cy's memory of Christmastime 1994, where we met, through the memory, Cy's father and we also met Cy's famous mother, Debralee Scott, who tried to answer her son's question about the meaning of Christmas.
As we begin this week, Cy remains napping and dreaming of that distant place and time...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Cy?" asks the voice of Conrad, stirring Cy from his sleep.

"What is it, Conrad?" asks Cy.

"Sorry to disturb your sleep, but we have a show to plan." says Conrad.

"Sorry, my mind was remembering and I couldn't help it." says Cy.

"Your mind is an amazing thing." says Conrad.

"I can't help it if it becomes a time machine that I can't help climbing into the seat of." says Cy.

"I don't know why you do that to yourself." says Conrad.

"Because I'm a long way from my childhood and if I could, I'll return forever." says Cy.

"Cy, please keep your mind on the present." says Conrad.

"After what's happened the past two weeks, I wish not to." says Cy.

"You're right, things haven't been the same." says Conrad.

"First, it was the pinball machine, then Joanne, then Thomas, then Officer Grace and Phil, then Darlene, and now Darlene and Thomas." says Cy.

"That last one has really stuck with me." says Conrad.

"What happened on Friday? I thought you two connected at last." says Cy.

"For a moment. Then I remembered the past and came to my senses." says Conrad.

"How is it when you remember the past, it's always leading to ice?" asks Cy.

"What kind of a question is that?" asks Conrad.

"Why can't see my side of this? I mean, Darlene has been better since the icy core melted and the human finally sprang forth again." says Cy.

"I told you, she was like that once and it hurt her." says Conrad.

"You still won't tell me what that was." says Cy.

"And I still won't. It's best you don't know." says Conrad.

"Why is that?" asks Cy.

"Because then you won't be tempted to do something that will really hurt her." says Conrad.

"I give up with you, Conrad. Believe what you will. As for me, the human Darlene I take over the iceberg any day." says Cy.

"Not me." says Conrad.

Suddenly, the phone rings. Cy runs over and picks up the receiver.

"Hello?" asks Cy.

"Hello, Cy. This is Joanne." says Joanne at the other end.

"Hello, Darlene. Why are you calling me?" says Cy.

"I just wanna to talk to ya." says Joanne in a coy voice.

"I'm all ears, dear." says Cy.

"If you wanna say anything, I'm listening." says Darlene.

"I can't really say much. Conrad is next to me." says Cy.

"Say something generic." says Joanne.

"How's the weather?" asks Cy.

"You're very funny." laughs Joanne.

"Who's that on the phone?" asks Conrad.

"No one." says Cy.

"Who is it?" asks Conrad.

"Don't be a parrot." says Cy.

"Nice one, Cy." says Joanne.

"If you must know, Conrad, it's my Joanne." says Cy.

"And you're my Cy." says Joanne.

"I am, aren't I?" asks Cy.

Back at Cy's house, Thomas makes his way into the living room, as he has done many times before. As he does, he spies again the picture of Debralee that hangs over the mantle. As he does, his mind takes a journey back in time.

It is December of 1994, and a young Thomas Cinder journeys out to the backyard with his father, carrying some flowers. The object of their walk is a small wooden cross.

"Well, Thomas, it's another year away from your dear departed mother, son." says Mr. Cinder in his usual southern drawl.

"It's sad to think that." says Thomas.

"Tough up, son. Your mother died in the very act of givin' you life, boy. Don't ever forget that." says Mr. Cinder.

"I won't, dad. It's just that, why is she buried here?" says Thomas.

"Because she wanted it." says Mr. Cinder.

"Why did she want to be buried here?" asks Thomas.

"So she can be here near her family for all time." says Mr. Cinder.

"She must really love me." says Thomas.

"That she does, that she does." says Mr. Cinder, taking a sip of his beer as they reach the little grave.

"Here we are, again." says Thomas.

"Place the flowers on your mama's grave." says Mr. Cinder.

Thomas then takes the flowers and places them upon the snow-covered mound of earth.

"There, son. Now, your mama will be happy in the promised land." says Mr. Cinder.

"I hope she knows these flowers are from me." says Thomas.

"I hope so, too, son." says Mr. Cinder.

His mind then returns to the present and he remains standing as he continues to stare back at the picture above the mantle. After a minute, his thinking is interupted by a knock on the door. Slowly, he makes his way to the door and opens it. There, he sees a woman.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, the strange woman introduces herself to Thomas, and a mystery he didn't know finds hime and conpels him to ask of his origins.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment