Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Episode 52

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "It Only Takes a Moment", Part 11

Yesterday, Darlene and Thomas finally ended their date with Darlene's departure.  Cy then told Thomas that their relationship was going well.  Then, Cy arrives at work and finds Conrad, who wonders where Darlene was last night.  Face with no other option, Cy reveals the truth and Conrad makes his leave with a warning to Cy. 
As we begin today, Cy has return home and told Thomas about what had happened when there was a knock at the door...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Cy then makes his way from the study to the front door. When he opens it, he spies the figure of Officer Grace standing before him.

"Officer Grace, what brings you around here?" asks Cy as she walks in.

"I'm here to respond to a charge of rape." says Officer Grace.

"Which of my neighbors has done it?" asks Cy.

"Not a neighbor, I'm afraid." says Officer Grace.

"I've never raped anyone in my life." says Cy.

"The charge is for a Thomas Cinder." says Officer Grace.

"Who filed it?" asks Cy.

"Conrad, on behalf of his sister Darlene." says Officer Grace.

"Darlene was not raped." says Cy.

"I have to take him in until we can prove otherwise." says Officer Grace.

"Don't listen to Conrad, Grace. He's a little nuts." says Cy.

"How can you say that about your best friend?" asks Officer Grace.

"I think our friendship's days are numbered." says Cy.

"Officer Grace, nice to see you." says Thomas, walking in.

"Thomas, Officer Grace is here to arrest you for rape." says Cy.

"But I didn't rape anyone." says Thomas.

"The arrest is for the rape of Darlene." says Cy.

"I didn't rape her. Anything between us is consensual." says Thomas.

"I have to take you in." says Officer Grace.

"No cuffs. Just go with it until I can talk Conrad out of it." says Cy.

"I'll be waiting." says Thomas as he walks with Officer Grace out of the house.

"Conrad, you've finally done it this time." says Cy as he makes his leave.

Down at the police station, Chief McIntyre is looking at some paperwork as Polly, mop in hand, makes her way into his office. Her expression is one of annoyence. She looks over at her uncle and decides to speak her mind.

"Did you hear what happened to Thomas?" asks Polly.

"What do you think is on my desk?" says Cheif McIntyre.

"He don't believe that he could commit a rape." says Polly.

"Maybe you oughta think who reported it." says Chief McIntyre.

"Conrad isn't helping his sister, not after what's happened to her." says Polly.

"I don't believe that people are icebergs or that they are able to melt." says Chief McIntyre.

"Still, I don't believe that Darlene would allow herself to be raped." says Polly.

"Whatever you think, I have work to do." says Chief McIntyre.

"Powwy, I need you out hewe." says Elmer.

"Hello, Elmer." says Chief McIntyre.

"Hewwo, Chief McIntywe. Awe you coming to see Powwy and the Sidewindews at Tom's Pwace Fwiday?" says Elmer.

"I will, as soon as I get this work done." says Chief McIntyre.

"Polly!" says the loud voice of Cy from the main office area.

"Cy wants you, Powwy." says Elmer.

"I know, Elmer. Join me, won't you?" says Polly as she takes her leave, with Elmer following behind.

"Hello, Polly." says Cy, standing next to Thomas at one of the desks in the room, at which sits Officer Grace.

"What are you doing here?" asks Polly.

"I'm here to help Thomas and to see if Conrad is still down here." says Cy.

"He's over there." says Polly, pointing to Conrad sitting at another desk, with Darlene pacing next to it.

"Hello, Conrad." says Cy as he walks over there.

"Hello, Cy. I told you you would get it." says Conrad.

"I still don't, Conrad. Thomas isn't guility of any rape." says Cy.

"He raped Darlene. I know that." says Conrad.

"Darlene is above the age of consent, you know?" says Cy.

"I know that, but I believe that Thomas will harm her, so I had to step in." says Conrad.

"Conrad, you can't arrest my Thomas." says Darlene, stopping her pacing.

"He's not yours and he'll harm you." says Conrad.

"I know what I'm doing." says Darlene.

"Conrad, you have crossed the line. You have filed a false police report and I feel I should say so to Officer Grace." says Cy.

"You can't prove that anything was consensual." says Conrad.

"I can, because I caught them in bed and got a flash of the evidence." says Cy.

"You saw my sister in the buff?" says Conrad.

"I looked away as soon as I could. Anyway, Darlene and Thomas are in a consensual relationship and Conrad has filed a false report." says Cy.

"Will you swear to that?" asks Officer Grace.

"Just give me the paper." says Cy.

"Then I arrest you, Conrad, for filing a false report." says Officer Grace.

"Put him in the cooler for awhile, just to cool off." says Cy.

"Come with me." says Officer Grace, leading Conrad away.

"Thanks for saving me, Cy." says Thomas.

"And our relationship." says Darlene.

"It was nothing, but if you feel a need to name your firstborn after me, I'll accept that in payment." says Cy.

"What if it's a girl?" asks Darlene.

"Then my mother will do." says Cy.

"Let us leave." says Darlene.

"Ditto." says Thomas as he takes Darlene by the arm and walks out of the police station.

"I must be a lucky man, to get to do this. If you could only see me now, Mama." says Cy as he takes his leave.

Some time later, Conrad sits alone in his cell, his expression that of one deep in thought. Officer Grace and Cy then make their entry into the room and Cy looks at Conrad with a smile on his face.

"You've been sprung." says Officer Grace, opening the cell door.

"Thanks for paying my bail." says Conrad as he gets up and walks out.

"I thought you could use the time to think this whole Darlene thing over." says Cy.

"I did, and I feel I went overboard when I heard about it." says Conrad.

"So, are you gonna leave them alone?" asks Cy.

"Maybe I will, if Thomas doesn't hurt her." says Conrad.

"You know, you're concerned about Darlene getting hurt. Who hurt Darlene enough to get you this way?" says Cy.

"It's not your concern." says Conrad.

"Well, whatever it is, I hope it's valid." says Cy.

"It is, and I'll hold myself to it." says Conrad.

"Just don't interfere with Thomas and Darlene. They're adults, making their own decisions." says Cy.

"One of those decisions could hurt her." says Conrad.

"Those two are in love. If Thomas jumped off a bridge, she'd follow suit." says Cy.

"Cy, your mother's wisdom is very interesting." says Conrad.

"Another day in the life of Cy Scott, citizen of Hyperion, son of Debralee Scott, and noted radio personality." says Cy.

"And no one can tell him a thing." says Conrad.

"Except his mother." says Cy.

------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, the crowd gathers at Tom's Place for Polly's second public performance and Conrad meets the happy couple, with results you must see to believe.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment