Thursday, August 12, 2010

Episode 49

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "It Only Takes a Moment", Part 8

Yesterday, Darlene and Thomas discuss their feelings for each other and found that each had feelings for the other.  They then decide to have a first date, like any couple.  As Thomas heads out on the town, Cy stays home and enjoys a meal prepared by Joanne.  As we begin today, Darlene and Thomas are walking down the street...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Some time later, the two are walking into Cathy's Tavern, the place filled with a Tuesday night crowd. Darlene and Thomas soon find a booth and slide themselves in.
"Nice to be here with you." says Thomas.
"Glad you are." says Darlene.
"Hello there, Darlene and Thomas." says Cathy as she pulls up to the table.
"Please give us our menus." says Thomas.
"Here you go." says Cathy as she hands them over to them.
"Thanks." says Darlene as Cathy walks away.
"What do you plan to order?" asks Thomas.
"Maybe some liquid entrees?" says Darlene.
"Is everything a drink to you now?" asks Thomas.
"Not really. Maybe some chips." says Darlene.
"I agree. Now, the main course." says Thomas.
"I can't decide with all these choices." says Darlene.
"We have some time." says Thomas.
"Maybe I'll refreeze while we wait." says Darlene.
"Nice joke. Gets things off right." says Thomas, nervously.
"Maybe you could tell one." says Darlene.
"I'll pass." says Thomas.
"Still, we need to decide on our main course." says Darlene.
"How about some hot wings, if you don't mind?" says Thomas.
"I haven't had any in my life, so I might as well have some." says Darlene.
"Great, great. Now, we wait for Cathy to take our orders." says Thomas.
"What shall we do until then?" asks Darlene.
"Nothing, for here I am." says Cathy as she pulls up to the table.
"Yes, we would like an order of hot wings and chips." says Thomas.
"Good choice. I'll have your orders ready in a few." says Cathy, who then leaves.
Back at Cy's house, Cy is placing a 45 onto an old record player, next to his easy chair. He places the needle on the record and after some hissing, an old Nancy Sinatra tune begins to play. Thomas then climbs into the easy chair and picks up a book.
"Sing away, my dear. Your singing is great music." says Cy.
A few minutes later, Cy hears a knock on the door. Curious, Cy puts down the book, takes the needle off the record, and makes his way to the door. When he opens it, he finds Conrad standing outside. Quickly, Conrad goes inside.
"I've gotta talk to you." says Conrad.
"Hello, Conrad. Please come in." says Cy as he closes the door behind him.
"Who is it?" asks Joanne as she walks out of the kitchen.
"It's Conrad, my dear." says Cy.
"What are you doing here?" asks Conrad.
"I'm making Cy a kosher dinner." says Joanne.
"Conrad, why are you here?" asks Cy.
"I've gotta talk to someone about this." says Conrad.
"Okay, what's so important that you would just barge in?" asks Cy.
"Darlene's missing." says Conrad.
"Darlene isn't missing." says Cy.
"Yes, she is. She went out an hour ago for a walk and she hasn't returned yet." says Conrad.
"Maybe she went out, Conrad." says Joanne.
"My sister's a homebody, melted or unmelted." says Conrad.
"That's what you think." says Cy.
"What do I think?" asks Conrad.
"I think you're overprotecting your sister." says Cy.
"I'm just trying to save her from harm." says Conrad.
"Do you want an iceberg for a sister, Conrad?" asks Joanne.
"If it keeps her safe." says Conrad.
"I don't get you, Conrad. I thought that your sister becoming human would make you happy, but it hasn't in the least. Instead, you're more fearful." says Cy.
"You bet I am." says Conrad.
"You actually admit that to me." says Cy.
"Yes, I do." says Conrad.
"Conrad, maybe you should give Darlene half a chance to think for herself." says Joanne.
"Last time she tried that, she got hurt." says Conrad.
"When was that?" asks Cy.
"I can't tell you. Just listen to me, maybe Darlene should refreeze a little, for her own safety." says Conrad.
"All water or all ice, that's how I see things." says Cy.
"Then I should go look for Darlene." says Conrad as he turns back towards the door.
"Go home, Conrad. I'm sure Darlene will be at the house tomorrow morning. You can check before work." says Cy.
"I'll trust you on this one, since everything so far has worked in your favor." says Conrad.
"That's a good thing in my book." says Cy as Conrad opens the door.
"I'll have to check mine." says Conrad as he departs.
"Conrad must really want his sister to be frozen again." says Joanne.
"There's something he's not telling me." says Cy.
"You shouldn't put yourself into this." says Joanne.
"I can't help in, Joanne. Conrad hasn't been himself lately." says Cy.
"Do whatever you want." says Joanne as she makes her way back to the kitchen.
"I remember a romance my mother had, and how it ended." says Cy.
"You know, we've been together for weeks and I haven't really heard about your mother." says Joanne.
"What's there to tell?" says Cy.
"You say that?" says Joanne.
"Well... She had a twenty-year career in show business, mostly in television." says Cy.
"She must have been very wonderful at times." says Joanne.
"It was all the time, until the attacks." says Cy.
"What happened then?" asks Joanne.
"It was that romance. She had fallen for a man, a police officer for the Port Authority. He was a nice man." says Cy.
"So, what happened to him?" asks Joanne.
"The two got engaged. I was happy for the both of them. Then came September 11th, 2001... " says Cy.
"What happened?" asks Joanne.
"He risked his life saving lives in the twin towers. They fell while he was still in them. He was killed." says Cy.
"I never known that." says Joanne.
"The zip went out of her smile that day." says Cy.
"Was she ever happy after the attacks?" asks Joanne.
"Not until her dying day." says Cy.
"Well, as long as she went happy." says Joanne.
"She's with the one she lost on that day, forever and ever." says Cy.
"I just love happy endings now." says Joanne.
"And if Conrad ever hears of Thomas and Darlene, I'm afraid the same will happen." says Cy.
"I see your point, Cy." says Joanne.
"May I never lose you." says Cy.
"The same here." says Joanne.
Cy soon returns to the comfort of the easy chair, places the needle back on the record, and picks up his book.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, Darlene and Thomas continue their date, long into the night, and into the morning, if you get the draft here, and I think you do.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment